Skip to content

Food market and inspiration from a box.

May 23, 2011

My Bumble Box

This past Saturday Bumble Box launched at the Dubai Garden Centre. Bumble Box is an easy way to source fresh, local organic fruit and vegetables in Dubai. Bumble Box supports local organic farming and aims to bring seekers of all things local and organic a convenient box which contains a selection of vegetables. Each box has a different mix. I selected mine based on the tomatoes, green beans, peppers and beetroot it contained. One can either select a small box priced at AED 80 or a large box for AED 130. They also deliver to certain areas.

Not only was Bumble Box there, but so were some other providers of fine food. For a moment I almost thought I was in rural France what with all the “Merci” and  “Bonjour” going on all around me. Sonia, the Queen Bee of Bumble Box is French, so is the fabulous baker and pattissier, David, from Crumbs Bakery who provided the most beautiful French baguettes, bread and pastries. The Belgian ladies, Iris and Djamila from Cooking. ID were also there providing jams, chutneys, preserves and dips. The smell of fresh vegetables mingling with the smell of bread and pastry almost had me lose my nerve. I really had to hold it together not to snatch up a baguette and start pulling chunks off it and stuffing it into my mouth. I just had to keep reminding myself that there was no place for bread in my Candida diet. Damn yeast! Not to be outdone by all the bread and jams and vegetables, Scrumptious, provided the eye candy with their beautiful home made cupcakes, cookies and macaroons ( more French flair).

I have to say, food markets really do it for me. Put me in a place surrounded by fresh food and I instantly become ever so slightly catatonic. I was positively brimming with excitement over my Bumble Box and what I was going to prepare with its contents. Italian pastry shops have the same effect on me. The Italian even made a comment, “You love this stuff don’t you?” Yep, sure do. When he took the boys to their tennis lesson I was left staring at my box wondering what I was to concoct. I finally decided on a salad of greens, roasted beetroot, roasted peppers and marjoram with soft goat’s cheese. This went really well with roasted cherry tomato and butternut with fresh rosemary and garlic and for a bit of carbs, potato fritters. All in all a great success.

Apart from that, the boys have had cherry tomatoes and cucumbers in their lunch boxes. Last night I made a red lentil pie with green beans and a simple salad using tomatoes, cucumbers and fresh basil. Tonight we’re having My Custard Pie’s Pepper, Chilli and Tomato Soup so that will take care of a few more peppers, tomatoes and the basil. Don’t know what I’m doing with the rest yet.

Not only has the box contents inspired my menu, it also inspired my photography. To see the little project done on box contents you’ll have to visit me again for my next post. For now check out what the Dubai Garden Centre turned out last Saturday and every Saturday from now on I believe. So if you’re in Dubai, pop over there, enjoy the food shopping and have a cup of coffee from the in house coffee shop which incidentally makes really good coffee.

Bumble Boxes

Organic fruit to taste

French loaves and pastries

French Bread

Food market with bread

Scrumptious

Scrumptious cup cakes

Scrumptious macaroons

Iris and Djamila from Cooking.ID

Sweet treats from Cooking ID

Sonia and Becky from Bumble Box

Melon tasting

Bumble Box

So, what do you think? What would this box inspire you to try?

14 Comments leave one →
  1. May 23, 2011 10:18 PM

It all looks so colourful and delicious!

2. Yasmin @ Red Panda Bakes permalink
    May 23, 2011 10:20 PM

Your photos are so vibrant. They’re also very candid, it’s almost as if I can hear the murmurs of intrigued shoppers, very nicely captured!

I’m hoping to check out Bumble Box next Friday, those peppers look wonderful. And Scrumptious is definitely on my list too.

3. May 23, 2011 10:31 PM

Gosh your photography is just mesmerising Edwina. The Bumble Box Queen Bees were asking for photos so you may want to share with them. I think the market is on Saturdays and Tuesdays – I hope so otherwise my review post is wrong!

• May 24, 2011 9:08 AM

Saturdays and Tuesdays? Wow that farm must be producing like mad. Good to know I may have to visit twice a week:)

• Satch permalink
        June 17, 2011 3:07 PM

At last! Someone who undesrtands! Thanks for posting!

4. May 24, 2011 6:00 AM

Lovely post. I feel your pain while standing before that wonderful bread.

5. May 24, 2011 7:03 AM

I too have a pepper mountain from the veg box! Hope you enjoyed the soup.

• May 24, 2011 9:09 AM

Soup was wonderful. Thanks for the recipe. I adapted it ever so slightly. The family had it with toasted cheese sandwiches.

• June 17, 2011 8:06 PM

What a joy to find such clear thinking. Tahkns for posting!

6. May 24, 2011 8:48 AM

Thank you for an amazing write up, and beautiful photographs! We appreciate all of your support! The Bumble Box market is every Saturday, NOT Friday! :) we will look forward to seeing you again this Saturday! Thanks Becky

• May 24, 2011 9:10 AM

OOOH messed up the days. I will change the article straight away!

• Coralee permalink
      June 23, 2011 1:03 AM

BION I’m impresesd! Cool post!

7. Areej permalink
    May 26, 2011 6:41 AM

Hi

I think the Bumble Box is a fantastic idea,I love it and support anything that will provide us with organic fruits and veggies.
    I’m a baker and I have my own business from home.I have been baking for many years and in various countries,cookies,cakes,breads for people who have the gluten allergy and Celiac.All my ingredients are fresh and chosen carefully.I also bake banana breads,crumbles,cookies,very healthy and delicious baked goods.I would love to participate in the market if possible.
    Please can you contact me or let me know via email if I can still be part of the market.
    Best of Luck
    Regards
    Areej Jomaa
    050-8763351

Love hearing from you, so feel free to leave a comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s