Skip to content

Gluten and refined sugar free breakfast

February 5, 2012

I thought I best grab a quick moment in between my shooting job and put up a blog post. Eveywhere I look on the www people are getting into the whole gluten-free and sugar-free movement. Is it the latest craze or are more and more people realising that their suffering and symptoms may/ are food related? Personally I think more people are realising the power of food on their bodies and their health. I also believe that even if you are not allergic or intolerant to gluten, it can only do your body a whole lot of good to give it some variety and a break from the usual gluten load. In my last post I put up the link to the talk by  Dr. Lustig which scientifically proves the negative impact of sugar on our health and our bodies. I believe that refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup is one of the biggest culprits when it comes to weight gain. Sugar is in almost everything we eat. If people would cut all that added, refined sugar out of their diets we would have less Type 2 diabetes with all its associated health problems, fewer overweight people, calmer children, fewer cavities and generally a healthier less addictive population.

I have been sugar free for one year now, so I think I am in a position to tell you that it is very hard to kick the habit, but completely possible. I now cannot tolerate sweet foods. Black bitter coffee is totally acceptable to me now whereas in the early days I still had to sweeten with a dash of stevia. Kicking the sugar habit has also meant that I have lost a lot of weight. Almost too much weight. I now spend my day planning ways of incorporating more calories and protein into my diet in order to maintain my weight. Snacking on nuts and incorporating quinoa and buckwheat into our diet has become a way of life for our whole family. None of us eat gluten anymore (although The Italian and Alessio, who are not gluten intolerant still eat ordinary pasta). All my baking is done with gluten free flour and grains. We are big on teff, quinoa, buckwheat and rice flour.

Breakfast is probably the most difficult meal for myself and Gianluca. Gone are our cereal for breakfast days.  Gone are eggs on toast or omelettes ( we are intolerant to eggs too). Buckwheat porridge is now our preferred morning porridge since oats is not gluten free:( It is also really important for anyone, but especially those of us with allergies and intolerances to rotate your diet and not to eat the same thing every day. In the past I made my own granola with oats. Since oats contains gluten this is no longer an option. Inspired by my fellow blogger Anja, who creates all sorts of delicious gluten free concoctions, I thought I would tweak one of her granola recipes so that it would meet all our allergy specifications.

Behold my version of Buckwheat granola, which is completely free of refined sugar and of course gluten free!

Printable Buckwheat Granola recipe.

About these ads
12 Comments leave one →
  1. February 5, 2012 11:12 AM

Thank you! Gosh, I’ve been at a loose end of late. Sugar and refined carbs have put my hormones in a spin AND I’m intolerance to eggs and dairy too! It’s so hard to deal with breakfast.

• February 5, 2012 9:53 PM

Breakfast is such a problem isn’t it? I try to alternate between fruit, smoothies made with fruit usually berries and unsweetened rice milk, buckwheat porridge and this granola. Home made gluten free/ allergen free muffins are also great with your morning cuppa.

• February 10, 2012 10:49 PM

I can’t handle the taste of rice milk, so I’m still powering on with oats or quinoa porridge. So many mornings though I just stand in front of the pantry completely uninspired. I should totally get into some muffins though – you’re so right!

2. February 5, 2012 12:20 PM

I always wanted to try making my own granola. Love buckwheat, will try!

3. February 5, 2012 4:26 PM

Edwinna, I just wanted to say, thank you for continuing to share your trials and tribulations but also your healthy outlook on food and on life. Very inspiring.

• February 5, 2012 9:56 PM

My gosh, thanks for your positive comment. Trust me my outlook is not always this healthy. I have my moments. I so appreciate it when people take the time to comment:)

4. February 5, 2012 6:36 PM

I totally agree with you Edwina, all refined sugars and simple carbs must be considered hazardous! They do more harm than good. Very inspiring to hear about your sugar free year, and I believe you when you say kickin it is hard! Granola is one of my fav. breakfast options, and gluten free is all the more welcome, thank you for sharing, will defo try it :)

• February 5, 2012 9:57 PM

Would love to know how you get on… thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it so much.

5. February 8, 2012 1:04 PM

Thanks Ed, just found organic puffed quinoa at Choithrams. It makes a great breakfast (if mixed with some other stuff). xx

6. February 12, 2012 1:29 PM

Edwina, it’s pretty amazing how you’ve pushed yourself to create a diet that cuts out some of the things we all look forward to most…I don’t think I’d have the nerves to try! But, what would be super helpful is if you could create a list of ingredients that anyone aspiring to gluten-free/sugar-free diets should keep in their pantry, just based on the things you keep at home (eg. which flours, seeds, natural sweeteners, etc) – and where you get them from in Dubai. There are so many times I read these really delectable seeming recipes, but then I go through the ingredient list and feel like I’m missing on half the stuff, and can’t whip up the recipe asap (which is when the craving hits)…and then I never get around to buying the groceries. Would love to have your list of most common items needed to whip up gluten-free meals/desserts.

• February 12, 2012 2:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback Arva. I think this is a great idea and will definitely incorporate it into my blog. Actually you can quite easily substitute GF flours for your ordinary flour either a combination of them or simply a blend (either from Doves or Bob’s Red Mill). As for the sugar, you simply add fruit (natures own unrefined non messed with sugar) or you can substitute raw unrefined honey, argave syrup or stevia. Personally I add fruit or honey or argave.

Love hearing from you, so feel free to leave a comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s