Skip to content

Muffins, a favourite quick snack

March 12, 2012

Once upon a time there was The Muffin Man. I think I will soon be referred to as The Muffin Lady. Muffins are one of those treats that are loaded with benefits.

1. They are quick and easy to make.

2. They travel well, so make great additions for lunch boxes and picnics.

3. No need to slice or cut.

4. They can be as simple or as complicated as you wish.

My basic allergen muffin repertoire is steadily increasing. I probably make muffins about 3 times a week. The boys have them as school snacks, after school snacks and often on the run snacks as we are heading out of the door. I have just about got my basic allergen  muffin recipe sorted. I change the added ingredients to suit whatever I have available. One day it could be zucchini or grated apple and raisins the next time perhaps banana and blueberries. These you see here, I have called Fruit and Quinoa Muffins. I had this tub of silken tofu in the fridge and was waiting for an opportunity to use it. I stubbled upon a recipe for Bran and Raisin muffins which of course was not perfectly suited to our dietary needs so modification was necessary. Allergy boy loved them! I have to say though that if you have only recently kicked the sugar habit you may want to add a spoon or two of honey. For those of us that have kicked the habit a long time ago they are perfect. Also, like most gluten-free baked goods, these do not keep well. Eat them on the day for best enjoyment.

For a printable PDF version click here Fruit and Quinoa Muffins

About these ads
8 Comments leave one →
  1. March 13, 2012 11:40 AM

I still don’t know where you get unsweetened pineapple chunks. They are never in Lulu’s when I am there. Can this also be done with fresh pineapple? And are you using white or brown rice flour?

• March 30, 2012 5:00 PM

The Prince’s brand. Also delmonte sell them in a container with 2 plastic cups. They look like they ‘re going to be awful, but when you read the ingredients list it’s just pineapple and it’s natural juice.

2. March 13, 2012 11:48 AM

And how many muffins do you get out of this batch. At least 8, looking a the picture :-)

3. April 9, 2012 11:12 AM

Hi Edwina! Love the blog! I have selected you as one of my 5 recipients of the Liebster Awards on my page! Check it out to accept it: http://seedanibake.blogspot.com/2012/04/first-award-liebster-award.html

4. desikhannaindianfood permalink
    April 11, 2012 1:53 PM

This is a wonderful recipe & the bonus for me is that it has no eggs, i will be sure to try this weekend. Thanks Edwina

• April 11, 2012 3:33 PM

Enjoy! Remember to eat them as soon as possible after making them. They do not keep well.

Love hearing from you, so feel free to leave a comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s