Skip to content

Light and Fresh Fennel and Olive Oil Lunch

July 11, 2013

Fennel and olive oil lunch

The Italian and I have taken to visiting Farmers’ Markets on Saturday mornings. It’s something our dog also looks forward to. We feel like an old couple going off with the dog and filling up our senses with the most beautiful sights, sounds and smells of the ever more bustling markets. So far we go most often to what is probably the most popular, Subiaco Farmers’ Market which is held on the grounds of Subiaco Primary School. Here we stock up on gluten free breads for the week ahead, locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables, beautiful gluten, nitrate and preservative  free pork sausages from Spencersbrookfarm, beef sausages and recently  Osso Bucco from Gingin Beef Farm all from free range animals with no additives of any kind. This kind of food certainly makes a difference. Not only to the animals, but ultimately to our own health not to mention the superior taste.

A few Saturday mornings ago, the Italian almost lost it, when he saw the beautiful fennel on display from one of the local growers. He waxed lyrical about his time growing up in Italy and buying fresh produce from the markets there. Of course fennel, celery and a bunch of other vegetables that would last us for the next two or three days were selected and carried away in our jute bags. We have become creatures of habit. Once we have our bread, fruit and veg and a bit of meat we get a coffee and enjoy it under the shade of a large tree on the school’s grounds before heading home.

Once home I began unpacking our stash when I noticed The Italian busying himself with lunch. I was not complaining. We have become increasingly aware of reducing our waste and no food in our house gets thrown out anymore. Everything is either eaten or used up in salads or soups or it makes its way into lunch boxes the next day. This day was no exception.  He had prepared a lovely clean lunch using up the bits of artichoke in the fridge, some tuna, a simple tomato salad and pieces of the fresh fennel and celery. The boys looked at this lot very sceptically until their dad showed them what they were to do. Along with these tasty vegetables were small dishes of Australian pink sea salt and peppery olive oil (also Australian….I only buy local now) with a dash of balsamic vinegar. The idea is you dip the vegetables in the oil and vinegar mixture into wish you sprinkle the salt and crunch away. It was delicious. Of course you couldn’t eat this way with limp vegetables. The real taste comes from the freshness of the ingredients and I firmly believe the way it is grown…naturally without chemicals that harm us.

This was a beautiful walk down memory lane for my husband, but also an affirmation of a culture that knows how to eat well and healthily. Not only was this a lovely lunch, but I think it would make a great pre lunch or dinner snack for guests instead of chips and dips. Don’t you?

Fennel and Olive oil3

Eat well!

Edwina

About these ads
6 Comments leave one →
  1. July 19, 2013 3:03 AM

Do not start trading until you have a good understanding of how
    the stock market functions. Take a few weeks to read about trading,
    join a seminar or take a class to learn how to invest your
    money smartly and manage your stocks like a professional.
    Think of your education as an investment.
    __________________________________________________________________________

I Break For charting the stock market

2. July 20, 2013 6:01 PM

That looks like a fabulous lunch. I must say I love the Subi Farmers’ Market but don’t manage to get there often enough. I tend to go to Stirling on a Sunday morning. Not as big but lovely fruit and bread.
    I’ve been reading your blog for a while but haven’t commented. I hope you are settling in to Perth well and managing to keep warm.

• July 21, 2013 2:34 PM

Thanks for leaving a message, I so appreciate it. Yes, we are settling in well thanks. We are so appreciative of everything Perth offers. Don’t know about Stirling, I must look into that. Thanks for visiting my blog.

• July 21, 2013 4:10 PM

It is every Sunday morning from 7.30 to about 11.30 (but all of the good stuff is gone well before 11). It is in the carpark of the Stirling Council Offices, just off the Cedric Street off-ramp of the freeway. Well worth a visit. Wonderful fruit in particular. Such friendly producers.

3. charlesleahy permalink
    October 26, 2013 2:25 AM

Hi My Mezzaluna,

Sorry, didn’t know how else to contact you!

Firstly, great food blog & keep it up!

My name is Charles and I currently run a blog in Dubai, http://www.allxpats.com. I have been doing this now for the past year or so and while updating it and letting the website grow, I will now be moving onto my next venture. Which is why I am contacting you.

As finding advertisers for your site in the UAE is not the easiest of things to achieve, I have decided to start an Affiliate Network in the UAE whereby businesses can offer a certain sum of money per click, lead or a percentage of commission to the blog/website owner who brought in that lead via the website owners unique link.

Once logged into the website, you will be able to see your earnings, advertising programs you have joined, charts showing all your stats and much more.

I am currently in university, 21, and this will be my first risky business venture, so trying to get as much research together as possible and people who would be interested in joining if it were good, easy to use, and did have relevant advertisers.

PLEASE FILL IN THIS VERY FAST 5 Question Survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5TCP5D7

Sorry for the long email and once again, thank you very, very much for taking the time to read and answer the survey!

If you ever need any help with anything just let me know, or want to tweet each other, tag each other in Facebook ect and so on.

Thanks Again

Charles Leahy

charlesleahy@gmail.com

• March 18, 2014 8:39 PM

Hi Charles, thanks for the interest in my blog. You will have noticed, that I no longer live in Dubai, so will not be participating. Good luck with your venture!

Love hearing from you, so feel free to leave a comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s